I’ve been obsessively reading the last few weeks, but it hasn’t been for fun. As I’m a doctoral student prepping for my exams, I read upwards of a 1000 pages a day. This, of course, leaves little time for editing, writing, and reading for pleasure. However, that’s a load of rubbish.
The end of 2016 has been filled with excuses for me. My workout routine has suffered. My writing has turned just to editing. Every article and book I’ve read has been for my exams or for work (i.e. blog posts, review documents, etc). I’m a walking PhD of Disaster. Not nearly as cool as PhD in Horribleness.
In 2017, that changes. Herein, I list – for all you and the internet to see – my list of resolutions – Author Edition.
- Finalize the publication of Grimm Remains (Bk 2 in Warlock of Rochester (WoR) series) and Aisling (NA paranormal romance) which are due out in Spring 2017.
- Organize promo tours for the above publications
- Set aside 5+ hours a week to write Bk 3 in my WoR series.
- Set aside 5+ hours to edit or query: Adult Military SF (FALL OF VICTORY), YA Fantasy (THE HEIR QUEST) and YA Supernatural Horror (NIGHTMARE KING). All are completely written, but I’m debating redoing parts in the first and last. So – not so much editing as debating editing and querying if I determine they don’t need it.
- Maintain social media presence (including weekly posts).
I think 5 should do it. My PhD resolutions are pretty extensive including finalizing lab space and doing prep work for my exams.
2016 was a mess. 2017 can be better. While most of my resolution are to get my life and work in order, there’s one big resolution that’s technically a 6th for my Author Edition list.
6. Help aspiring authors / my fellow authors.
The how is a bit blurry. This website will be a fantastic tool to ensure decent information gets out about the profession, but I would like to do more. After my exams, I’ll open this site to review requests (free, of course). Again – however – I’d like to do more.
Aside from information and reviews, what do you guys need? If you have an idea, please comment below.
For those with resolutions for 2017 – Good Luck.